We’re all in the fitness industry to change people’s lives. and to change people’s lives we have to get them to come to our studio. What we may not think about all that often is that our customer journey begins long before they walk through the doors to the studio. What this means is that the capabilities of our website and ease of our booking software has a lot to do with the first impression that our potential future clients receive. If it’s too much of a hassle, challenging, or uninformative, they may decide that coming in is not worth all the effort. In this episode Shay speaks with Shannon Tracey (an old friend of ours from our early careers) who shares key insights like this one from her time in the industry- most recently spend as the VP of business development for Mariana Tek, the new premium business management software for the boutique fitness industry, that has been taking the industry by storm. In this episode you’ll learn more business success secrets that will help you remove any unintentional roadblocks to acquiring and retaining your clients, and you’ll learn some of the amazing things that Mariana Tek has integrated into their software, that not only help you ensure that you are providing the best possible customer experience from beginning to end but also that the process of client management is made simple and easy to use for you, your front desk team, and even your instructors.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Simple secrets to an incredible client experience
- How Mariana Tek differs from its competitors
- Awesome Mariana Tek features that take your client experience to the next level
Here’s the Complete List of Tips:
(9:45) What makes an exception class experience?
It’s the community. The best studios don’t try to replicate what others are doing, but establish the way they are going to do things. They do their best to understand what their customers love about their brand and they play off of that.
It’s the experience that people have that moves people up the funnel to a membership. It’s what gets them engaged and what keeps them engaged.
(12:00) What are some commonly overlooked elements to an amazing client experience?
It’s really important to treat someone coming in for their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time just like you would someone coming in for the first time. Just because someone has been before, there is still a learning curve to mastering the modality. Many are intimidating, or not something that you can pick up after one workout! They may not have found the instructor that resonates with them yet.
In Mariana Tek, you can see how often clients go to each instructors’ class.
(14:30) An interesting stat regarding conversion
Most people define conversion as when someone comes to the studio and purchases a package. It’s about providing an amazing experience and classes to people so that they see the value. What is interesting is that Mariana Tek has noticed that it’s around the 3rd or 4th class when most people download the app (so they can continue to book classes- they’re committing!)
(17:00) A note on first timers…
As an experienced first timer, Shannon often finds that the first question she gets asked is whether she’s taken that type of class before. However, if she answers yes, often the conversation ends there. They assume that she knows what she’s doing. It’s good to know that your first timers have been on that piece of equipment before but it’s also a great opportunity to keep the conversation going and follow up with questions that will help them understand how much experience they have, what studios they’ve been to in the past, and also share some insights into what makes their studio special.
(18:45) Think about the entire customer experience end to end
This goes well beyond what happens in the studio. Ask yourself- how easy are you making it on your website for people to book a class? Do you have all the info that a first timer would want to know? Often Shannon finds it’s hard to find a studio’s address on the website! Don’t overlook the amount of time that a client spends engaging with your brand outside of the studio! At Mariana, they recognize this, and do everything they can to meet or exceed what the studio is already doing. Often the hardest part is getting people into the studio!
(23:00) So what is Mariana Tek and how does it differ from the competition out there?
• The founding team has deep operating experience. The tech team was the tech team for Flywheel’s original revolutionary platform.
• The key differentiator is centered around client experience
• It was architected from the beginning to serve multiple location brands
• It’s easy for clients to bring friends to class!
• You can pre-buy rentals, water, etc.
• In the app, there is a page dedicated to each instructor at the studio where you can see links to their Instagram and Spotify accounts to get a feel of what kind of music they play!
• Pick a spot functionality. It’s native to the platform and works for any modality. This allows instructors to more easily learn people’s names, and it drives earlier signups and bookings because people get attached to one part of the room!
(31:00) Learning more about Mariana client tags
In the Mariana platform you’re able to tag different clients as VIPs or influencers or students, and any associated discounts with those tags are automatically applied to any purchase that they make. This is also great because you have a visual reminder on the system that they are coming in.
(32:00) Mariana offers training for front desk associates
They have an in-house training team and in-depth on-boarding process. They typically do training through webinars to ensure you’re completely comfortable with the platform.
(37:00) Integration/ setup process for Mariana Tek
• Kickoff call
• Configuration process (they offer room maps and booking windows)
• Financial on-boarding (payment gateway, credit card processing)
• Web development integration
• App configuration
(39:00) Ideal client type & things to think about when getting ready to migrate to Mariana Tek
• Be very clear on what your priorities are.
• What are the top reasons why you’re making the change
• It’s a big step! Make sure that you’re sharing a lot about your business and how you operate to ensure all is covered
References in the Episode & Additional Resources: